GI-BMP Training & Program Overview
What Are The GI-BMPs?
The GI-BMPs are a science-based educational program for Green Industry workers (lawn-care and landscape maintenance professionals), brought to you by UF-IFAS Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ program. The GI-BMPs teach environmentally safe landscaping practices that help conserve and protect Florida’s ground and surface waters. They can also save the Florida homeowner money, time, and effort; increase the beauty of the home landscape; and protect the health of your family, pets, and the environment.
This training is designed to provide corporate, governmental, environmental, and other personnel the Best Management Practices for lawn and landscape. Learn what impact the BMPs will have on your business or municipality. Developed by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and endorsed by the pest control industry, this training is brought to you by UF-IFAS Florida-Friendly Landscaping program with partial funding by FDEP through a Nonpoint Source Management (Section 319h) grant from USEPA.
Who Gets Trained in the GI-BMPs?
Florida Statute 482.1562 states that all commercial fertilizer applicators must have a license from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) by January 1, 2014. To get this license, each Green Industry worker must be trained in the GI-BMPs and receive a certificate of completion from UF/IFAS and FDEP. Additionally, many non-commercial Green Industry applicators or other workers are required to pass the training by local ordinances or voluntarily participate in the program to better serve their clients.
Who Should Attend:
- Supervisors and employees in the lawn care, pest control, or landscape industry
- Municipal parks and recreation facility supervisors and employees
- Irrigation industry workers
- Commercial property managers
- City and county planning department staff
- City and county environmental department or water quality staff
- City and county commission staff
- Builders and developers
- Landscape designers and architects
- Golf course employees
- Anyone working in the areas of water quality, urban development, or environmental issues
Where can I find GI-BMP training classes?
- In-person training classes are held at various Extension offices around the state, industry offices, trade shows and association meetings, public buildings, and many other sites. Click here for the Training Schedule.
GI-BMP Online and DVD training also available:
- Industry professionals now have the option of taking the GI-BMP training online or using the free DVD training set.
- . Click here for online training information.
- . Click here for DVD training information.
Attendees will receive:
- Training in all major aspects of the GI-BMP manual
- GI-BMP manual ( It is strongly recommended that you obtain and study this GI-BMP manual prior to attending class). Click here to download the manual.
- Certificate of completion (mailed 2 weeks after training - must pass post-test)
- Up to 4 CEUs for pesticide license holders - for in-person training only
How do I obtain my Limited Commercial Fertilizer Applicator Certificate (LCFAC)?
This certification, often referred to as the "state fertilizer license", is issued by Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS).
How do I become a Certified GI-BMP Instructor?
In accordance with the Americans with Disability Act, if you require any type of an accommodation for an event sponsored by the University of Florida accommodation requests must be made at least 72 hours in advance of the function. To arrange accommodations contact the agency sponsoring the event. For assistance contact the UF ADA Office at (352) 392-7056 or 711(TDD/TTY).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/ Affirmative Action Employer and do not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.